VUOM Mission Statement:
Virginia University of Oriental Medicine is dedicated to producing highly skilled and professional acupuncture and oriental medicine practitioners to educate, serve and meet the ever-growing health needs of our communities and to foster the growth and practice of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
The Purpose of the Master’s Program is to create leading practitioners of Oriental Medicine through student centered educational structures and experiences that will produce the following competencies:
- Understand and apply of the principles and practices of Oriental Medicine.
- Demonstrate clinical effectiveness through performance of a comprehensive patient interview; accurate diagnosis; and an effective application of acupuncture and herbal formulation.
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge of western biomedical modalities for appropriate referrals.
- Competently demonstrate progressively independent judgment in clinical practice.
- Practice within established ethical, legal and professional guidelines.
- Pursue life-long learning through a commitment to continuing education and contribution to the Oriental medicine profession and community at large.
VUOM’s primary academic program is the Master of Science in Oriental Medicine degree which includes the extensive study of diagnostics, methods of treatment, and acupuncture and Chinese Herbology. The program is also designed to prepare students to sit for licensure examination. VUOM students are eligible to qualify for NCCAOM examinations.