The Virginia University of Oriental Medicine considers a well-equipped library to be a vital part of a student’s education and an important element in the overall effectiveness of the university. The library’s mission is to connect VUOM students to the knowledge and resources available in the fields of oriental medicine, acupuncture, herbology, and western medicine; to provide timely access to information requested by students, faculty, and staff (VUOM community); to operate efficiently; and to expand effectively.
Objectives supporting this mission:
- To provide up-to-date information in oriental medicine and western medicine to the VUOM community.
- To provide this information in a variety of formats, including hardcopy books and journals; and online books and journals.
- To facilitate access to relevant electronic resources anywhere (within library or from home) and anytime (24/7 access).
- To develop and maintain a collection that meets the university’s current and future needs through contact with the VUOM community; and relationships with other libraries and oriental medicine organizations.
- To assist the VUOM community in locating resources, and to teach information literacy skills.
- To provide a setting that includes adequate seating, technologies, computers, and amenable surroundings for study.