The Virginia University of Oriental Medicine is seeking an experienced academic executive to serve as the Academic Dean for its Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine program. The chosen candidate will report to executive team members and partner with other senior managers in administrating and determining the strategic direction of the University’s Complementary and Alternative Medicine program.
The Virginia University of Oriental Medicine’s academic programs, commitment to community outreach, and partnership with fellow members of the academic and healthcare sectors significantly enhance the quality of education and the opportunities available to its students upon graduation.
The Academic Dean will serve as the primary academic lead for the institution, providing guidance and holding responsibility for all academic initiatives in accordance with the mission and vision established and directed by the Senior Executive team and the institution’s Board of Trustees.
The Academic Dean ensures that VUOM develops and offers a progressive, relevant, and high quality academic curriculum that remains in full compliance with the University’s accrediting agencies.
Given that the institution’s academic program and curriculum focuses on a non-traditional form of medicine within the United States’ healthcare marketplace, the
Academic Dean must take an innovative and entrepreneurial mindset that fosters
collaboration with the online learning, professional education/development, and general academic communities locally and abroad.
In managing the academic organizational structure of the University, the Academic Dean must determine, articulate, and ensure the roles, responsibilities, and commitment of the academic faculty within the University remain focused on the values and results driven culture established by the University. The Academic Dean collaborates with team members to set key academic milestones then thoughtfully drives consistent progress.
Academic Dean Job Description
Reports to the COO and is responsible for all faculty activities relevant to instruction and serves as the academic leader of the University. The Academic Dean will work closely with: the Director of Clinic in the development of the clinical curriculum; the Student Services Director for student activities including alumni services and development; the Director of Admissions for marketing and incoming class assessment; and the COO for professional development, evaluation of faculty and selecting department Chairs. The Academic Dean encourages and helps faculty in their teaching, professional development, and supervises all administrative processes for all academic related matters. Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Supervising instructors and other academic personnel and conduct faculty performance reviews.
- Presiding over the faculty committees and being responsible for communicating preparation of faculty contracts.
- Coordinating staffing needs, developing course schedules and coordinating faculty replacement along with the Dean of Admissions and the President.
- Presiding over the curriculum concerning issues related to the University’s curriculum.
- Helping ensure faculty are fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Evaluating transfer credit and advanced standing of transfer students, and engage in admissions interviews.
- Developing, maintaining and updating the student catalog/handbook.
- Providing direction to instructors concerning titles and purchase methods of educational materials.
- Overseeing the academic performance and progress of all students.
- Advising on general operational and administrative matters related to VUOM.
- Periodically review the educational objectives to ensure consistency with institutional mission and goals.
- Review and advising on the integrity and quality of Oriental Medicine clinical training program from time to time as necessary.
- Advising on faculty recruitment and development of teaching activities.
- Participating in special studies and reports, such as those related to the accreditation of the institution’s instructional program. In this capacity, the Academic Dean will play a pivotal role in the school’s self-study.
Please send your CV and transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org